Sep 4, 2010

The Utah Quilt

Utah Utes football season started this week, and the first game was awesome! They played Pittsburgh, and although they didn't "spank" them, they did win. It was so much fun to watch!

To celebrate the opening of the season my sweet Dave bought me a pair of Ute earrings from the bookstore. I have wanted these earrings for over 2 years, so I was thrilled to say the least! He is so good to me!

Since my husband is so wonderful, and does little things to make me happy and get me excited for football season, I had to do the same for him.

I had been planning on making Dave a University of Utah quilt for Christmas. He has wanted a quilt since we started dating, and so that is what I was going to give him for Christmas. I went and bought the fabric, and of course got the softest stuff possible. It's called Minkie, and I love it! I knew Dave would love how soft the material was too.

I took the fabric over to Sherry, (my best friend, mentor, and adopted Mom) so she could see how fun it is. We were planning on having a quilting day to finish my quilt for Dave and my bed, when I decided I needed a little project change. We cut the Utah material and started sewing.

As we got the quilt top finished I was talking about Utah's first football game and how excited Dave and I were. Sherry had the best idea ever! She said, "You should give him this quilt on the day of the football game. He can sit down, cuddle up in it, and watch the game." Now just to put this in perspective, I had the entire quilt to do from start to finish in 4 days if I was going to get it done for the Utah/Pitt game. I knew it was a lot to take on, but I was up to the challenge. I know how much I love to see Dave smile so I started to work my butt off!

I sewed all morning Monday with Sherry by my side coaching me the whole way. I got home and laid out the quilt, stretched it tight and pinned it. Then I sewed the yarn and tied it the rest of the night.

Sherry and I were supposed to get back together on Wednesday, but I wasn't able to, so first thing Thursday morning I headed to Sher's. I got there at 9:30, and we started cutting and sewing the binding together. I finished sewing on the binding with the machine at 1pm. I still had to sew the binding on by hand before the game at 6pm!! I was so stressed. I rushed home and saw that Dave was home from school, and wondered how in the world I was going to do this. I was determined to make it happen though!

I walked in the house to see where Dave was, and luckily he had a load of homework to do. I asked him if he would stay in the bedroom because I had something I was working on that he couldn't see. I went out to my car grabbed that quilt, got comfortable on the couch, and pulled out my needle and thread.

I sewed, and sewed, and sewed! My fingers, and hands were aching, but by 6pm I was done!!

The game started and I called for Dave to come in and watch it with me. I had the quilt all wrapped up, and Nic (my sis-in-law) had the camera in hand.

As Dave was walking in I grabbed the quilt and I handed it to him. He was so surprised. This is how it went from there... After all the hugs and kisses, Dave did exactly what I wanted him to do. He grabbed his "Minkie" curled up on the bed, and we watched the Utes beat Pitt! It was a great night!

All the hours spent and the sore hands were worth it just to see him smile. He has slept with his minkie every night since and is wrapped up in it right now sitting next to me.

This was by far the best gift I have ever given. Not to pat myself on the back, but I think I did a really great job for never making a quilt. I was pretty proud of myself when I handed it to him.

Thanks to Sherry's patience, kindness, love, and eagerness to teach me, I made an awesome quilt that my husband will have forever! Thanks Sherry! I love you tons and owe you so much!

1 comment:

Jammie said...

It is beautiful!