May 13, 2009

Emergency Surgery

Well Dave and I had another fun-filled weekend. I got home from work on Friday and cooked dinner. About 10 minutes after Dave and I had eaten, I started having pains in my stomach. We both just thought it was gas and it would pass through. It never got better, in fact it intensified more and more each minute. I called Dr. Hanafy (the guy who did my surgery in 2005) and he told me to get to the ER. Reluctantly I get in the car and Dave drives me to AF hospital. I was screaming in pain and crying the whole way there. It was the least pleasant drive I think I have ever had.

Once we got back into the ER they came and gave me pain medication and as weird as this sounds, it only intensified the pain. They had to give me 2 more shots of pain medicine before I finally calmed down. The next thing to do once they had my pain under control was to find out why I was having pain. The nurse came and got me and took me in for a CT scan. About 30 minutes after that, the ER Doctor came in and told us that we had to get up to LDS hospital asap because I had a blockage in my intestine.

I had what is called insussusception. It is where your intestine folds into itself. The outcome is a horribly painful blockage.

Dave drove me up to LDS hospital where Dr. Smith came and saw me. He determined that we would have to do surgery based on what he had seen and that I was still in pain. At 8am on Saturday morning they took me in for Emergency Surgery on my small intestine. He cut out a piece of my intestine and then reconnected it to my stomach.

It was a pretty scary time. Dave was so worried he was going to lose me, and I him. I have never been so nervous about a surgery in my life. When I kissed Dave bye before they wheeled me into the operating room I just wanted to hold him forever because I was so afraid it would be the last time I saw him. I was truly scared to death. All went well with the surgery though and I'm alive and kicking, well slowly walking anyway.

It hurts to do anything. Walking, sitting up, laying on my side, etc. You never realize how much you use your stomach until you've had it cut open. I am healing and getting better though. Dave is the best nurse of ever! He is so amazing and takes such great care of me. I seriously have the most perfect husband ever. He cooks for me, cleans the house, has cleaned our room, always makes sure I have my medicine, etc. I couldn't ask for anything better. I love him so much and so appreciate all he does for me. I'll never be able to pay him back for all he does for me.


Curt, Lace and Harper said...

That is so SCARY! I am glad to hear that you are feeling much better. I hope that you keep healing at a steady rate. Good Luck Chica!

brittney and leeon said...

Jill- I am so glad that you are okay!! That is so scary. I hope that your recovery goes fast!

Bonnie said...

Awe Jill, I know I'm late commenting, but I hope you are doing much better now! I wish we could have spent more time with you!